Before it was called Charles Town, it was Jefferson County Races, opened on December 3, 1933, originally owned by Albert and Joseph Boyle, located in West Virginia, USA.
The first track in West Virginia to operate when the state legalized racing and parimutuel betting. In 1964, Baltimore’s Pimlico Race Course owners purchased the track. Under their management, they first installed lights for night racing. In 1972, it was again sold to Shenandoah Corporation. Then, year-round racing in Shenandoah Downs was moved to Charles Town. However, Shenandoah Downs is still utilized as a training track. Sunday racing was introduced in 1979. In 1996, West Virginia voters agreed to place video lottery machines at the state’s tracks. Then in 1997, Penn National Gaming Inc. purchased the racetrack until today.
It is now recognized as Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races, which is now a Racino. The owner of this track is the Gaming and Leisure Properties, and the Operating license holder is the Penn National Gaming.
The main track measures six furlongs with a 600 ft distance from the last turn to the finish line. The chute measures four and one-half furlongs. The capacity of the Grandstand can accommodate seating with 3,500 patrons, while the clubhouse seating with 2,500 patrons.
They also have Free Wi-Fi, Free parking, Air-conditioned, and Bar. They also have 3,500 slot machines, over 100 table games including Blackjack, Craps, Roulette, live poker, Mini-Baccarat and Pai Gow Poker, live entertainment, a wide range of food, and beverage choices, and live and simulcast horse racing. ¾ of the mile surface of the facility attracts some of the East Coast’s best trainers, horses, and jockeys.