Pimlico Race Course

Don’t forget you can wager on the races with AmWager

Place Your Bet Now!

Wager on live horse races like a Pro with AmWager.

Why Choose AmWager

Simple…We are the best online wagering platform today. Real-time updates, exclusive tools, custom wagering types, player-focused design. Not using AmWager is like playing in the kiddie pool.

Powerful, fast, innovative, secure, yet easy to use! All because we value and listen to our customers.

  • Easy Sign Up with Trial

  • Leading Cash Rewards and Promotions

  • Custom tools and features no other ADW has.
  • Smooth, easy-to-use interface on all devices.

  • Up to 60 times faster updates than competitors!

  • Continuing innovations and updates. With more planned for years to come.

Pimlico Race Course

Pimlico Race Course is a horse-racing track in Baltimore, Maryland, United States. It opened in 1870, at Park Heights Ave.

Saratoga Race Course

Saratoga Race Course is a horse-racing track in Saratoga Springs, New York, United States. It opened on August 3, 1863, and is the oldest organized sporting venue of any kind in the United States. It is typically open for racing from late July through early September.

History

The home of the Preakness Stakes opened on October 25, 1870, and the second oldest racetrack in the nation behind Saratoga, which debuted in 1864 in upstate New York. It is located at 5201 Park Heights Avenue Baltimore, Maryland United States, owned by Stronach Group. The track area is bounded by Park Heights and Winner Avenues to the west, West Rogers Avenue and West Northern Parkway to the north, Preakness Way to the east, and West Belvedere Avenue to the south.

“Pimlico” was the name given to the area by English settlers in Colonial times. Its original spelling was “Pemblicoe”, found on the original settlement charter granted to a group of Englishmen in 1669. The racetrack was also known as “Old Hilltop,” after a small rise in the infield that became trainers’ and race enthusiasts’ best choice for gathering to view the contestants at a close range. However, the notable infield “hill” was removed in April 1938 for obscuring the track-level vision of the racetrack backstretch, posing a problem for movie and television cameras in the early era of filming races.

Between 1889 and 1904, the race track went into a brief hiatus from flat racing, when the Preakness and Dixie were run at other tracks, and “outlaw” race meetings arose around Maryland. Pimlico commenced operating again in 1904, also when the public and newspapers recognized it. Race charts appeared quite similar to modern-day style, the first moment Baltimore readers found the news accounts more than mere social reports. Racing in Pimlico even survived a 1910 anti-gambling movement that swept the country, prohibiting the sport everywhere, except in Maryland and Kentucky.

Track Details

The track has a one-mile dirt oval surrounding a seven-furlong (7/8 mile) turf oval. The length of the stretch from the last turn to the finish line is 1,152 feet. They have 750 betting windows, including temporary windows on Preakness Day and automated betting machines. The stable area has 665 stalls, plus tack, feed, and 132 sleeping rooms. The main grandstand capacity is 5,691, the clubhouse is 1,269, and the sports palace can accommodate 160. The dining area can also accommodate 1,806 people

Pimlico is also home to other non-racing events such as the Virgin Festival from 2006 through 2008 and Moonrise (festival), an electronic dance music festival featuring artists such as Above & Beyond, Bassnectar, and Kaskade.

History

The home of the Preakness Stakes opened on October 25, 1870, and the second oldest racetrack in the nation behind Saratoga, which debuted in 1864 in upstate New York. It is located at 5201 Park Heights Avenue Baltimore, Maryland United States, owned by Stronach Group. The track area is bounded by Park Heights and Winner Avenues to the west, West Rogers Avenue and West Northern Parkway to the north, Preakness Way to the east, and West Belvedere Avenue to the south.

“Pimlico” was the name given to the area by English settlers in Colonial times. Its original spelling was “Pemblicoe”, found on the original settlement charter granted to a group of Englishmen in 1669. The racetrack was also known as “Old Hilltop,” after a small rise in the infield that became trainers’ and race enthusiasts’ best choice for gathering to view the contestants at a close range. However, the notable infield “hill” was removed in April 1938 for obscuring the track-level vision of the racetrack backstretch, posing a problem for movie and television cameras in the early era of filming races.

Between 1889 and 1904, the race track went into a brief hiatus from flat racing, when the Preakness and Dixie were run at other tracks, and “outlaw” race meetings arose around Maryland. Pimlico commenced operating again in 1904, also when the public and newspapers recognized it. Race charts appeared quite similar to modern-day style, the first moment Baltimore readers found the news accounts more than mere social reports. Racing in Pimlico even survived a 1910 anti-gambling movement that swept the country, prohibiting the sport everywhere, except in Maryland and Kentucky.

Track Details

The track has a one-mile dirt oval surrounding a seven-furlong (7/8 mile) turf oval. The length of the stretch from the last turn to the finish line is 1,152 feet. They have 750 betting windows, including temporary windows on Preakness Day and automated betting machines. The stable area has 665 stalls, plus tack, feed, and 132 sleeping rooms. The main grandstand capacity is 5,691, the clubhouse is 1,269, and the sports palace can accommodate 160. The dining area can also accommodate 1,806 people

Pimlico is also home to other non-racing events such as the Virgin Festival from 2006 through 2008 and Moonrise (festival), an electronic dance music festival featuring artists such as Above & Beyond, Bassnectar, and Kaskade.

History

John Hunter, who became the first chairman of The Jockey Club, and William R. Travers built Saratoga Race Course. The original track was built across Union Avenue from the present Saratoga Race Course at the current location of the Oklahoma Track (training track), which opened the following year. Since 1864 the track has been the site of the Travers Stakes, the oldest major thoroughbred horse race in the United States, which is the main draw of the annual summer race meeting. The Saratoga meet originally consisted of only four days, but over time was lengthened, and for many years, the meet lasted for four weeks. In the 1990’s it was lengthened to five weeks. Today it is a six-week meeting ending on Labor Day. In 2009, NYRA extended the 2010 racing meet by 4 days. From 1943 to 1945, racing was not held at Saratoga Race Course due to travel restrictions during the war. During those years, the stakes races that would have been run at Saratoga Race Course were contested at Belmont Park instead.

Saratoga Race Course has two well-known nicknames — The Spa (for the nearby mineral springs), and the “Graveyard of Champions” (for the upsets that have occurred there). Man o’ War suffered his only defeat in 21 starts while racing at Saratoga Race Course; Secretariat was defeated at Saratoga Race Course by Onion after winning the Triple Crown; and Gallant Fox was beaten by 100-1 long shot Jim Dandy in the 1930 Travers Stakes. In 1999, Saratoga Race Course was rated as Sports Illustrated’s #10 sports venue of the 20th Century.

As is the case with the other two tracks operated by the New York Racing Association – Aqueduct and Belmont Park – there are three separate tracks in the main course at Saratoga Race Course.

Contact

  • 5201 Park Heights Ave, Baltimore, MD 21215, United States

  • Phone: +1 410-542-9400

Contact

Pimlico Race Course

Don’t forget you can wager on the races with AmWager

Place Your Bet Now!

Wager on live horse races like a Pro with AmWager.