Yonkers Raceway was opened in 1899 by William H. Clark’s Empire City Trotting Club. But after he died in 1900, the track remained close for most of the duration of seven years. Originally built for Harness Racing, the thoroughbred racing was brought into the track by the second owner, James Butler, in 1907. In 1936, the unparalleled Seabiscuit, one notable thoroughbred racehorse, won the Scarsdale Handicap Stakes Race. Currently, the Yonkers Raceway features year-round harness racing on the five nights per week schedule. The Rooney Family acquired Yonkers Raceway in 1972, and MGM Resorts International purchased it from the Rooney family in 2019.
This track is located in Yonkers, New York, owned by MGM Growth Properties and operated by MGM Resorts International. Some notable recorded races of this track are George Morton Levy, Memorial Pacing Series, Blue Chip Matchmaker, Art Rooney Pace, Lawrence B. Sheppard Pace, Lismore Pace, Yonkers Trot, Hudson Filly Trot, Messenger Stakes, Lady Maud Pace, and New York Night of Champions.
The track is a one-half mile oval, and it is an Open stretch with no hub rail. The surface is Limestone screenings. The length of the homestretch is 660 feet and 98 feet in width. It can accommodate up to 7,500 seats.