Chester Racecourse

Don’t forget you can wager on the races with AmWager

Place Your Bet Now!

Wager on live horse races like a Pro with AmWager.

Why Choose AmWager

Simple…We are the best online wagering platform today. Real-time updates, exclusive tools, custom wagering types, player-focused design. Not using AmWager is like playing in the kiddie pool.

Powerful, fast, innovative, secure, yet easy to use! All because we value and listen to our customers.

  • Easy Sign Up with Trial
  • Leading Cash Rewards and Promotions
  • Custom tools and features no other ADW has.
  • Smooth, easy-to-use interface on all devices.
  • Up to 60 times faster updates than competitors!
  • Continuing innovations and updates. With more planned for years to come.

Chester Racecourse

Chester Racecourse is a horse-racing track in Cheshire, England, United Kingdom. opened in 1539, at Chester.

Saratoga Race Course

Saratoga Race Course is a horse-racing track in Saratoga Springs, New York, United States. It opened on August 3, 1863, and is the oldest organized sporting venue of any kind in the United States. It is typically open for racing from late July through early September.

History

It is considered the oldest racecourse in the UK, with the first recorded race on February 9, 1539, currently owned by Chester Race Company Ltd. It is also officially acknowledged by the Guinness Book of World Records as the Oldest Racecourse in the world that hold races. In addition to this, the racecourse consistently received the Gold Standard Award by the Racehorse Owners Association (ROA) since the award’s inception in 2008. It also received the prestigious title of Large Racecourse of the Year in 2015, 2018, and 2019. It was also formerly the home of the original Chester Midsummer Watch Parade, temporarily banned by Oliver Cromwell but finally abolished in 1677.

During Roman times, the area had a harbor and sat on the River Dee, and the Anglo-Saxon name is the Roodee. Towards the center of the infield is a raised mound decorated by a small cross known as a “rood”. It is from this that the racecourse derives the name “Roodee”; Roodee is a corruption of “Rood Eye”, meaning “The Island of the Cross”. By the Middle Ages, the area silted up and eventually became the site of the racecourse. Moreover, the site was also home to the famous and bloody Goteddsday football match, where games became vicious due to high levels of player injury and the ramifications that came with it. Hence, it was banned in 1533 and replaced in 1539 by horse racing. It is located within the city center and is served by Chester Railway Station and a bus stop outside the venue. The east of the racecourse abuts directly onto Chester’s ancient city walls, which were once used to moor Roman trading vessels before the river’s course changed.

Track Details

The racecourse is over 1-mile (1.6 km) long, flat, and raced anti-clockwise or left-handed. The main characteristic of the course is the very short straight (239 yards). The sharp nature of the course means that it races exclusively on the Flat, and Chester’s May Festival is now considered to be one of the highlights of the Flat racing year. It has enclosures, The County, The Paddocks, The Tattersalls, and The Dee Stand. The Main Reception Area is located at the front of the main building and has level access, and the desk area has a low-level area for wheelchair users.

The County Concourse is a premium enclosure at the heart of the racecourse that permits racegoers to access the Paddock where you will find the Dining Village, The Parade Ring, County Champagne Bar, and Winner’s Enclosure. This badge does not provide access to the seated area in the County Stand. Limited standing is available in the first few rows of the County Stand (availability dependent). Tattersalls stan enclosure is the largest on the racecourse. Perfect for large groups that give access to bars, catering concessions, and entry to the Paddock. The Dee Stand has a tiered, uncovered terrace and ground floor standing area that provides catering, bars, and betting access. There is no strict dress code in this area.

It also has an open Course located in the centre of the race track, where guests can bring their own food/soft drinks into this area. Refreshment vendors are available on this course; however, there are no ATMs, and advised to bring cash with you. The car park is free for all visitors, with eight (8) designated disability parking areas within the car park near the Paddock.

History

It is considered the oldest racecourse in the UK, with the first recorded race on February 9, 1539, currently owned by Chester Race Company Ltd. It is also officially acknowledged by the Guinness Book of World Records as the Oldest Racecourse in the world that hold races. In addition to this, the racecourse consistently received the Gold Standard Award by the Racehorse Owners Association (ROA) since the award’s inception in 2008. It also received the prestigious title of Large Racecourse of the Year in 2015, 2018, and 2019. It was also formerly the home of the original Chester Midsummer Watch Parade, temporarily banned by Oliver Cromwell but finally abolished in 1677.

During Roman times, the area had a harbor and sat on the River Dee, and the Anglo-Saxon name is the Roodee. Towards the center of the infield is a raised mound decorated by a small cross known as a “rood”. It is from this that the racecourse derives the name “Roodee”; Roodee is a corruption of “Rood Eye”, meaning “The Island of the Cross”. By the Middle Ages, the area silted up and eventually became the site of the racecourse. Moreover, the site was also home to the famous and bloody Goteddsday football match, where games became vicious due to high levels of player injury and the ramifications that came with it. Hence, it was banned in 1533 and replaced in 1539 by horse racing. It is located within the city center and is served by Chester Railway Station and a bus stop outside the venue. The east of the racecourse abuts directly onto Chester’s ancient city walls, which were once used to moor Roman trading vessels before the river’s course changed.

Track Details

The racecourse is over 1-mile (1.6 km) long, flat, and raced anti-clockwise or left-handed. The main characteristic of the course is the very short straight (239 yards). The sharp nature of the course means that it races exclusively on the Flat, and Chester’s May Festival is now considered to be one of the highlights of the Flat racing year. It has enclosures, The County, The Paddocks, The Tattersalls, and The Dee Stand. The Main Reception Area is located at the front of the main building and has level access, and the desk area has a low-level area for wheelchair users.

The County Concourse is a premium enclosure at the heart of the racecourse that permits racegoers to access the Paddock where you will find the Dining Village, The Parade Ring, County Champagne Bar, and Winner’s Enclosure. This badge does not provide access to the seated area in the County Stand. Limited standing is available in the first few rows of the County Stand (availability dependent). Tattersalls stan enclosure is the largest on the racecourse. Perfect for large groups that give access to bars, catering concessions, and entry to the Paddock. The Dee Stand has a tiered, uncovered terrace and ground floor standing area that provides catering, bars, and betting access. There is no strict dress code in this area.

It also has an open Course located in the centre of the race track, where guests can bring their own food/soft drinks into this area. Refreshment vendors are available on this course; however, there are no ATMs, and advised to bring cash with you. The car park is free for all visitors, with eight (8) designated disability parking areas within the car park near the Paddock.

History

John Hunter, who became the first chairman of The Jockey Club, and William R. Travers built Saratoga Race Course. The original track was built across Union Avenue from the present Saratoga Race Course at the current location of the Oklahoma Track (training track), which opened the following year. Since 1864 the track has been the site of the Travers Stakes, the oldest major thoroughbred horse race in the United States, which is the main draw of the annual summer race meeting. The Saratoga meet originally consisted of only four days, but over time was lengthened, and for many years, the meet lasted for four weeks. In the 1990’s it was lengthened to five weeks. Today it is a six-week meeting ending on Labor Day. In 2009, NYRA extended the 2010 racing meet by 4 days. From 1943 to 1945, racing was not held at Saratoga Race Course due to travel restrictions during the war. During those years, the stakes races that would have been run at Saratoga Race Course were contested at Belmont Park instead.

Saratoga Race Course has two well-known nicknames — The Spa (for the nearby mineral springs), and the “Graveyard of Champions” (for the upsets that have occurred there). Man o’ War suffered his only defeat in 21 starts while racing at Saratoga Race Course; Secretariat was defeated at Saratoga Race Course by Onion after winning the Triple Crown; and Gallant Fox was beaten by 100-1 long shot Jim Dandy in the 1930 Travers Stakes. In 1999, Saratoga Race Course was rated as Sports Illustrated’s #10 sports venue of the 20th Century.

As is the case with the other two tracks operated by the New York Racing Association – Aqueduct and Belmont Park – there are three separate tracks in the main course at Saratoga Race Course.

Contact

  • The Racecourse, Chester CH1 2LY, United Kingdom

  • Phone: +44 1244 304600

  • https://www.chester-races.com/

Contact

Chester Racecourse

Don’t forget you can wager on the races with AmWager

Place Your Bet Now!

Wager on live horse races like a Pro with AmWager.