Hamilton Park Racecourse is a thoroughbred horse racing venue currently located in Hamilton, Scotland, a short distance from the southeast of Glasgow, at Henty Highway Hamilton VICTORIA, and situated between the coastline and The Grampians, an approximately 4-hour drive from Melbourne. However, it was originally situated in Chatelherault on the other side of town, where it was inaugurated in 1782 and just closed in 1907. It was relocated to the current location and opened in 1926 while owned by the Hamilton Park Trust since 1973. In 1864 the Hamilton Racecourse and the Warrnambool Club were the backbones of Jumping racing in the South West.
Hamilton racecourse holds 10 to 12 meetings per year, including hurdle races. It hosts flat races between May and October every year and is part of Scotland’s great sporting heritage. On July 18, 1947, it became the first course in Britain to stage an evening fixture, while on May 8, 1971, the racecourse became the first to hold a morning meeting. It also became the first racing club in Australia to conduct six jumping races on the one program in August 2000.
The Lanark Silver Bell, formerly run at Lanark racecourse, was resurrected at Hamilton in 2008. The original Silver Bell is believed to have been presented to the Royal Burgh of Lanark by King William I of Scotland in 1165. The racecourse also staged sell-out stand-alone concerts in three consecutive years from 2010 to 2012. More recently, in 2015, they were also the first racecourse in Scotland, and the first small independent course in the UK, to provide racegoers with free Wi-Fi.
Hamilton Racecourse has a circumference of 2030 meters and a home straight being 400 meters long, which is right-handed, sharp, and undulating. There are steep gradients in and out (from the 1600 meter mark to the 900-meter mark) of pronounced hollow, measuring three furlongs from the winning post and a hill up to the finish.
The round course has a six-furlong straight, which joins a right-handed loop about halfway along its length. The 1 mile 5 furlongs and 9 yards are beyond the winning post, and runners proceed the “wrong” way up the home straight, around the loop, and back towards the winning post.
The Hill is the upmarket bar and eatery on the ground floor of the grandstand. There is also the Overton Farm Grill which is open for every race meeting and serves homemade, locally produced beef burgers from Overton Farm right here in Lanarkshire. The main public bars in the grandstand at the racecourse are the Dukes, Panorama Bar, and the Braveheart Bar. The Racing TV Bar is situated in the grandstand, near the winning post. There are also 12 luxurious Private Boxes on the second floor of the grandstand.