History began when the first races in Musselburgh took place in 1777 under the auspices of the Royal Caledonian Hunt. Between 1789 and 1816, race meetings were held on the sands at Leith, while in 1816, they returned permanently to Musselburgh, to a course laid out for them by the town council.
However, it had suffered losses that, as a result, East Lothian Council took over the management of the racecourse from the Lothians Racing Syndicate Limited (LRS) in the year 1991. In 1994, the Council and the Lothians Racing Syndicate created the Musselburgh Joint Racing Committee (MJRC) to run the racecourse, a partnership that still exists today. The Council owns the racecourse facilities and assets, and the MJRC pays a full commercial rent to use the land and facilities to both the Common Good Fund and ELC.
It is a horse racing venue which formerly known as Edinburgh Racecourse, situated at Linkfield Road, Musselburgh, East Lothian, EH21 7RG, in the Millhill area of Musselburgh, East Lothian, Scotland, UK, close to the River Esk. It is the second biggest racecourse in Scotland (the first being Ayr) and the UK’s fourteenth biggest. It is also Scotland’s only 5* Visitor Attraction Racecourse that is firmly established as one of the UK’s most stylish racecourses.
In 2011, it won the Dual-Purpose Award at the Neil Wyatt Racecourse Groundstaff Awards, beating the much bigger Ascot Racecourse into second place. Musselburgh Racecourse has also won a range of awards through the RCA Showcase Awards.
It has a 1.25-mile right-handed oval track with a home straight of 4f. The course offers both flat racing and National Hunt meetings, but jumping was only introduced in 1987. It is also 2 km long.
For flat races, it is right-handed, sharp, and oval. The top end of the course turns is particularly sharp, while the fields typically race towards the stand rail on the straight course. For National Hunt, it is also a right-handed oval track but a little over a mile and a quarter in extent, almost flat with sharp bends, favoring handy types as opposed to gallopers. A Polytrack strip was installed on the bend, running away from the stands towards the end of 2012 to protect the ground that tended to get worn and bare due to overuse. The two-mile start is on a spur on the last bend. There are eight fences (four in each straight) to a circuit.
Private hospitality boxes can host between 20 and 200 guests, with prices varying between £62 and £148 + VAT per person. They also have an onsite Epperston Restaurant, with prices starting at £55 and potentially rising to as high as £98 + VAT per head. Other facilities available at the track are WiFi, Pets Welcome, Car Parking, Coach Parking, Accessible Access, Café / Restaurant, Public Toilets, Toilets for disabled, and Baby Changing Facilities.