The history of horse racing in Warwick started in September 1694, when the Great Fire of Warwick burned down the town resulting in a desperate need for rebuilding. The people had an idea to raise money through horse racing, and hence horse racing started in the town. Then in 1707, Warwick had established a racecourse.
In 1808, the first stand was built, while in 1845, steeplechasing was introduced. In 1967 Jockey Club purchased the racecourse, and they remain in control of the racecourse today.
It originally staged both Flat racing and National Hunt racing but was forced to abandon Flat racing after an incident in May 2014, and Warwick’s final Flat fixture took place on August 26, 2014.
It is located at Hampton Street, Warwick Warwickshire, England, among the UK’s oldest racecourses, which is also established as one of the best jumps racing courses in the UK. It hosts 25 meetings throughout the year (from September to May). Moreover, it is best known for its Agetur Kingmaker Novices Chase and Classic Chase.
In the racecourse are a nine-hole golf course and a golf driving range. The track measures 1.6 miles in circumference, left-handed, oval, and broad but sharp. There are ten fences per circuit for steeplechases, with five of them coming in quick succession along the back straight, making for a tough finish. On the hurdles course, runners take on six flights each lap with two positioned down the home stretch, as with steeplechases making for a testing finish. Both courses feature a short run-in.
The racecourse is also open to other events. Musical performances and festivals are sporadically scheduled for the venue, which can also be privately hired for weddings, parties, and corporate events. It is also a popular venue for exercise, with dog walkers frequently using the facilities on non-race days. The racecourse is also home to a gold course and driving range, managed by the Warwick Golf Centre.