Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack

Don’t forget you can wager on the races with AmWager

Place Your Bet Now!

Wager on live horse races like a Pro with AmWager.

Why Choose AmWager

Simple…We are the best online wagering platform today. Real-time updates, exclusive tools, custom wagering types, player-focused design. Not using AmWager is like playing in the kiddie pool.

Powerful, fast, innovative, secure, yet easy to use! All because we value and listen to our customers.

  • Easy Sign Up with Trial

  • Leading Cash Rewards and Promotions

  • Custom tools and features no other ADW has.
  • Smooth, easy-to-use interface on all devices.

  • Up to 60 times faster updates than competitors!

  • Continuing innovations and updates. With more planned for years to come.

Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack

Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack is a Racino (horse-racing track and casino) in Wheeling, West Virginia, United States. It opened in 1866, at South Stone Street.

Saratoga Race Course

Saratoga Race Course is a horse-racing track in Saratoga Springs, New York, United States. It opened on August 3, 1863, and is the oldest organized sporting venue of any kind in the United States. It is typically open for racing from late July through early September.

History

Originally, the track was opened in 1866 as a Thoroughbred and harness race track with its original name as Wheeling Downs, located on Wheeling Island in the middle of the Ohio River, part of the city Wheeling, West Virginia. By 1937, the reconstruction of the track commenced. In the 1940s, it received a facelift courtesy of new shrubbery and steeps, earning its nickname “miniature Churchill Downs”.

In 1962, a fire ruined the property, resulting in the property closing for five years and necessary rebuilding. It returned in the 1970s and resumed to feature harness and flat racing. Unfortunately, a series of legislative decisions resulted in decreasing attendance and purse sizes. Hence the track decided to shift from horse racing to greyhound racing in 1976. Although, they still offer simulcasting for horse racing until today.

In 1988, Delaware North purchased the property and improved the facility for further expansion, opening a new clubhouse, an elegant dining room, and a lounge. Moreover, it introduced off-track betting and video slot games in 1994, which arrived in 1999. With this, the gaming center enlarged further to 34,000 square feet, in addition to the Islander Buffet. In 2002, Wheeling Downs was officially renamed Wheeling Island Racetrack & Gaming Center, which occurred with another expansion of a deluxe hotel, a new gaming space, a showroom, and new restaurant offerings. In 2008, the name was revised again to Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack, by which in the same year, the facility added table games.

Track Details

Overall, the facility has a 151-room hotel, 1,600 slot machines, a 1000-seat showroom, meeting and banquet services, casual and fine dining restaurants, a food court, gift shop, and 2,800 parking spaces, including 220 covered spaces among its variety of amenities. Some of the most prominent games featured on the facility include real money craps, blackjack, roulette, Texas Hold ‘em, Omaha and Omaha Hi/Low Split, and Seven Card Stud.

History

Originally, the track was opened in 1866 as a Thoroughbred and harness race track with its original name as Wheeling Downs, located on Wheeling Island in the middle of the Ohio River, part of the city Wheeling, West Virginia. By 1937, the reconstruction of the track commenced. In the 1940s, it received a facelift courtesy of new shrubbery and steeps, earning its nickname “miniature Churchill Downs”.

In 1962, a fire ruined the property, resulting in the property closing for five years and necessary rebuilding. It returned in the 1970s and resumed to feature harness and flat racing. Unfortunately, a series of legislative decisions resulted in decreasing attendance and purse sizes. Hence the track decided to shift from horse racing to greyhound racing in 1976. Although, they still offer simulcasting for horse racing until today.

In 1988, Delaware North purchased the property and improved the facility for further expansion, opening a new clubhouse, an elegant dining room, and a lounge. Moreover, it introduced off-track betting and video slot games in 1994, which arrived in 1999. With this, the gaming center enlarged further to 34,000 square feet, in addition to the Islander Buffet. In 2002, Wheeling Downs was officially renamed Wheeling Island Racetrack & Gaming Center, which occurred with another expansion of a deluxe hotel, a new gaming space, a showroom, and new restaurant offerings. In 2008, the name was revised again to Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack, by which in the same year, the facility added table games.

Track Details

Overall, the facility has a 151-room hotel, 1,600 slot machines, a 1000-seat showroom, meeting and banquet services, casual and fine dining restaurants, a food court, gift shop, and 2,800 parking spaces, including 220 covered spaces among its variety of amenities. Some of the most prominent games featured on the facility include real money craps, blackjack, roulette, Texas Hold ‘em, Omaha and Omaha Hi/Low Split, and Seven Card Stud.

History

John Hunter, who became the first chairman of The Jockey Club, and William R. Travers built Saratoga Race Course. The original track was built across Union Avenue from the present Saratoga Race Course at the current location of the Oklahoma Track (training track), which opened the following year. Since 1864 the track has been the site of the Travers Stakes, the oldest major thoroughbred horse race in the United States, which is the main draw of the annual summer race meeting. The Saratoga meet originally consisted of only four days, but over time was lengthened, and for many years, the meet lasted for four weeks. In the 1990’s it was lengthened to five weeks. Today it is a six-week meeting ending on Labor Day. In 2009, NYRA extended the 2010 racing meet by 4 days. From 1943 to 1945, racing was not held at Saratoga Race Course due to travel restrictions during the war. During those years, the stakes races that would have been run at Saratoga Race Course were contested at Belmont Park instead.

Saratoga Race Course has two well-known nicknames — The Spa (for the nearby mineral springs), and the “Graveyard of Champions” (for the upsets that have occurred there). Man o’ War suffered his only defeat in 21 starts while racing at Saratoga Race Course; Secretariat was defeated at Saratoga Race Course by Onion after winning the Triple Crown; and Gallant Fox was beaten by 100-1 long shot Jim Dandy in the 1930 Travers Stakes. In 1999, Saratoga Race Course was rated as Sports Illustrated’s #10 sports venue of the 20th Century.

As is the case with the other two tracks operated by the New York Racing Association – Aqueduct and Belmont Park – there are three separate tracks in the main course at Saratoga Race Course.

Contact

  • 1 South Stone Street, Wheeling, West Virginia 26003, United States

  • Phone: +1 304-232-5050

  • https://www.wheelingisland.com/

Contact

Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack

Don’t forget you can wager on the races with AmWager

Place Your Bet Now!

Wager on live horse races like a Pro with AmWager.